27 July 2009

au revoir, mali

After that I remember very little, except broken fragments that don't really make any sense at all, until I woke up at Yale New Haven Hospital. I don't know the exact date that I regained consciousness, but I remember the March snowstorm, so it was around the 1st.

Now of course I've been able to piece together what happened during those three months: medevac'd from Mali (Mopti or Bamako? I'm not sure.), two weeks at the American Hospital in Paris, three months in ICU at Yale. Multiple trauma, complications, lucky to be alive at least three times over.

Certainly, I know that I wouldn't be here without the help, love and support of my friends and family. Many many Peace Corps volunteers helped from the beginning. I don't know how they learned of the accident, but I remember them all being there with me at the hospital (Mopti? Bamako?) in Mali. Thanks to them I received immediate medical attention, the embassy was contacted and the medevac team alerted. They took care of me amidst their own personal grief at losing Cristina. MBAEC worked hard to make sure I'd receive necessary care. My family was with me 24 hours a day while I was in ICU, holding my hand while urging me to hold on. Julia and Milica visited me at Yale too, doing their best to help my family remain positive. Once I was alert and able to read, I was happy to receive the hundreds of cards, emails, FB posts from friends all over the world wishing me well. I appreciated everyone's wishes so much and enjoyed a good round of happy tears.

So that's how my adventures in Africa ended. Now I'm beginning a different adventure: the road to recovery. I'll continue my story at http://www.brenda-pie.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment